University of Clementine

From The Shire
Jump to: navigation, search

The University of Clementine is a public research university located on the Northwest corner of the Shire's Nippopolis. The first building of the university was constructed in August 2014, but the history of the university dates back to 1596 when it was founded by Dr. Freeman LeShawn Tyrone. Today, The University of Clementine is one of the largest universities in both funding and endowment lands in Nippopolis; it is a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant university under the Morrill Act, passed by the SUN of 1862. It is the oldest public university in all of Nippopolis.

The University is a founding member of the Association of Universities across Nippopolis (AUN) and is designated as a RU/VH Research University (very high research activities). The university possesses 11 major colleges and over 100 majors and minors. It currently serves over 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The annual operating budget for the university in 2014 was $5.36 billion. The total endowment of the university was $79.13 billion in 2013 according to the University of Clementine Financial Holdings LLC, where the majority of the financial endowment is managed. It has the largest financial endowment for any public or private institution in all of Nippopolis, with an estimated annual growth rate of 6.4% by its own economists.


Campus

The campus is at an estimated size of 1,200 by 1,000 blocks, making the main campus of the university slightly larger than 1.1 square kilometers. The campus is well known for its lack-of-interior architectural style. The chief architect of the university, DancingChimp, employed a wide range of building styles on the different buildings, including the Beaux-arts and Baroque architectural styles. There are two major gardens located on the campus. "Er Hortem Finem Garden (EHFG)" was named after Enderkilla and is located between the School of Business and the graduate library. The garden is sometimes considered to be the heart of the campus due to its history and proximity to various administration and academic buildings. "Hiddick Garden" is directly adjacent to the right of EHFG and is located between the School of Law and the School of Business.

The University of Clementine is connected to the rest of Nippopolis via the Intershire railway transit system. The station is located in the far end of the EHFG and is considered as a large station by an STA member Andrewpo. It connected to other stations on the Cerelia line that serves the majority of the northern areas on the map. The station also serves as the central hub of the intrauniversity subway station.

The University also includes a stadium built by xXAndrew. The stadium was frequently held for intramural foodball tournaments and are occasionally used to hold the annual Superb0wl foodball (made of raw owl meat) event. The stadium has a capacity of 5,000.

Academics and Research

The University of Clementine is designated to have an extremely high activity of researches, with over 42 Nobel Laureates spread among faculty and alumni. The university spends 60% of its annual budget on research. The university is well known for its aerospace and nuclear engineering programs, having close partnerships with the National Propulsion Laboratory and accesses to a nuclear powered rocket engine (NERVA). The engine, however, was donated to the University of Laurelian to celebrate its founding in 2015. Researchers of the university, however, still hold proprietary ownership and exclusive researching rights to the rocket engine despite not being located in their own laboratories.

College of Engineering

The College of Engineering is the largest college of the University of Clementine in terms of laboratories and programs offered. The College was named after two engineers following Operation WoodpulpClip. The two engineers, Werhner Zeinsen and Shalom Egwtze contributed greatly to the early expansion of the College of Engineering. The duo were credited for starting the Institute of Materials Engineering and the Aerospace Engineering blocks in 1954 and 1956 respectively. The college currently takes up 39.2% of the entire university's annual research budget.

The various schools and disciplines in the College of Engineering include:

  • School of Nuclear Sciences
  • School of Aerospace and Rocketry
  • Von Braun Aerospace Research Center
  • Shire Linear Accelerator (SLAC) Particle Sciences Laboratory (Operated under CoE at the University)
  • Nuclear Fusion and Plasma Engineering Center
  • National Propulsion Laboratory (Operated under the School of Aerospace and Rocketry)
  • School of Material Engineering
  • Advanced Propulsion and Research Development Center
  • Material Sciences Laboratory
  • Yoramjov Experimental Technologies Center (Classified research institute)
  • Institute of Nanotechnology
  • National Supercomputing Center
  • School of Computer Engineering
  • Beckman Institute of Advanced Artificial Intelligence Research

College of Natural and Physical Sciences

The College of Natural and Physical Sciences (CNPS) is the second largest college of the University of Clementine. The School of Chemical Sciences is the largest academic discipline offered among the college. However, in terms of student body, the CNPS is the most populous, with over 18,000 undergraduates and graduates enrolled in the college. Many of these, however, are speculated to be applicants whose applications to the College of Engineering were rejected, as the CNPS offers similar courses and research opportunities with a lower admission threshold. Despite having a lower share of the annual university research budget than the College of Engineering (28.4%), most of the college's research funding comes from national grants for research. As of 2014, the research budget for the college is only 0.3% lower than that of the College of Engineering.

A majority (59.7%) of the research papers published in the University of Clementine comes from research involved faculty and students (mostly upper-class undergraduate students or graduate and doctorate students). 31 Nobel Prizes have been given to the faculty and alumni since 1901, with the most recent one being awarded to Dr. Malok Yoramjov in 2011. Research from the College of Natural and Physical Sciences has, since 2002, created more than 400 start-up companies, many of which eventually became a part of the renowned Fortune 500 companies list. Companies founded from the University of Clementine's CNPS has an estimated assets of over $138.89 billion as of 2014, 11.6% of which belong to the University of Clementine Financial Holdings LLC as financial equities.

The various schools and disciplines in the College of Natural and Physical Sciences include:

  • School of Chemical Sciences
  • Allekh School of Physical Sciences
  • School of Atmospheric Sciences
  • National Research Center for Atmospheric and Meteorological Data
  • School of Actuarial Science
  • Advanced Particle Sciences Laboratory (Partnership with SLAC)
  • Weissmann Institute of Theoretical Sciences
  • School of Geology
  • Astrophysics Laboratory and Institute of Advanced Theoretical Deep-Space Propulsion
  • Ooga Institute of Astronomy
  • Booga Observatory and National Telescope Research Center
  • Advanced Bio-molecular Research Laboratory
  • National Biological Weapons Research Center
  • School of Medicine and Medical Sciences

College of Business

The College of Business is closely tied to the University of Clementine Financial Holdings LLC. The LLC was founded in 1928 to manage the rapidly expanding financial endowment given to the university. Today, The College of Business is the college entity that manages the LLC in its entirety. The College is one of the larger colleges in the University, offering over 43 programs and seven accredited degrees, most of which are at the doctorate level. The College currently has over 7,000 students and takes up approximately 4.3% of the University's annual research budget. The College of Business currently shares four Nobel Prizes in Economics among two faculty members and two students as of 2014. The last prize was awarded to Dr. Amerigo Vespucci in 2012 for his research in analyzing the risks on a financial crisis in a credit based economy.

Alumni of the College of Business reached 30,000 as of 2010 and has been expanding since. Most of the alumni hold managerial positions or C-level executives in large international corporations; most specialize in investment banking and hedge-fund management. Due to the high net worth nature of the majority of the alumni, the College of Business has the highest amount of private endowment among all colleges. As of 2015, the endowment for the College of Business exceeded $8.73 billion. Some of the financial endowment are funneled back into the university system, though most are incorporated into the college's budget to offset its low research budget share.

The various schools and disciplines in the College of Business include:

  • School of Economics
  • Anthony Stark School of Business
  • School of Accounting
  • W. H. Gates Database for Economic Computing
  • School of Analytical Management
  • School of International Business
  • School of Finance
  • School of Human Resource Management

Aerospace and Nuclear Researches

The University of Clementine houses two of the largest aerospace and nuclear laboratories among the Shire. The estimated annual budget and national grants for the combined laboratories exceeded $6.9 billion in 2014. The two laboratories work closely with national organizations to design spacecraft and engines particularly suited for deep space with high thrust and high specific impulse. Traditional nuclear thermal rocket engines rely on nuclear fission reactors embedded above the engine bell; while the nuclear reactor provides a high exhaust velocity, thus a high specific impulse and fuel efficiency, the engine itself is not suited for prolonged and lower stage flights, as the heavy nature of the nuclear reactor sacrificed the thrust-to-weight ratio (TWR) of the engine itself.

The aerospace and nuclear laboratories developed a nuclear fusion engine in partnership with the Shire Space Institute in 2015. The engine provided a 3.2 MN (719,388 lbf) of thrust and an ISP of 942.7 s.


Geographic Location