- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 King Cephluss the Mad
- 4 Civil War
- 5 White Plague
- 6 Organization
- 7 Culture
- 8 Major Organizations
- 9 Controversy
- 10 Notable Locations
- 11 Geographic Location
Fulfwotz is the capital of the New Sammichian Empire, located in the northern section of the Demmatrodine Region. It is one of the largest cities in the Shire, and serves as an important economic center, as well as a trading hub of the southwest with its neighbor, Sol. It is an SUN World Heritage site, due to the remnants of the ancient tribes that used to reside in Bongva Valley.
In approximately 2,200 PRY (Pre-Reckoning Year), a tribe of nomads inhabited Bongva Valley, using tools of stone to hunt their prey, which mainly compromised of the now-extinct Bongvian Mountain Goat. Ancient hieroglyphs found in caves within the mountains depict harsh and short lives for the indigenous Bongvites, partially due to the fact that they ate the goat meat raw, causing health problems later on. Eventually, bacteria in the raw meat caused infertility in the women, and the Bongvites soon died out.
Later, in the year 200 PRY, the growing Lilladonian Empire begins to branch out into the western frontiers of the known Shire with hopes of establishing a colony. The Lilladonians chose the now-empty Bongva Valley because of its natural mountain defenses, and the proximity to the water. After a few years, the small colony of Fauna is established. It was small, weak, and strategically unimportant. All this changed when gold was discovered beneath Fauna. The town thrived, and became one of the most important centers in the Empire. The streak of prosperity continued unbroken for many years, until 130 PRY, when trouble began brewing in the north. A rival empire was growing, and challenged the size and power of the Lilladonians: It was the Old Sammichian Empire. In their capital of Ceriumuse, the Sammichians were growing jealous of the fortune to be had in Fauna. Knowing if the Sammichian Empire wanted to be the most powerful that Fauna would need to be taken, Emperor Fikkle the First sent out a fleet of thirty ships to take Fauna from the Lilladonians. Commanding the fleet was the legendary Sammichian hero, Ser Leif. On December 12th, 122 PRY, Ser Leif sailed to Fauna in the dead of night. Believing that their town was safe, Fauna guards were out drinking at the pubs; but Ser Leif's fleet arrived, and began cruelly slaughtering every man, woman, and child in sight. Over 4,430 Faunites were murdered that night, while a group of 50 managed to escape across Enderfulf Bay, where they evolved into the current Enderian race. It is remembered as one of the most brutal and bloody conflicts in known Shire history.
Fauna was now in Sammichian control, and in gratitude, Emperor Fikkle allowed Ser Leif to rename it. It was renamed Fulfwotz by a drunken Ser Leif, and the Empire rejoiced. However, the festivities stopped when the Sammichians discovered that the Lilladonians had left the mines dry. They soon relied on trade, building up the town into a small city. As trade increased, Fulfwotz's influence grew too. Soon, power began shifting from the capital of Ceriumuse to Fulfwotz, the Emperor even taking up permanent residence in Castle Mugg. Eventually, due to a shrinking population and poorer opportunities, Ceriumuse was totally abandoned with thousands of years of history behind it, and the Empire was completely dissolved in 134. Fulfwotz remained as a large kingdom, ruled by the powerful Ich Dynasty.
King Cephluss the Mad
A turning point in Fulfwotz history was when King Cephluss the Mad was coronated in 1253. He is considered one of, if not the most insane Ich monarchs who had ever lived. He was cruel, unstable, and combative, yet Fulfwotz saw the largest amount of growth under his rule. Many great construction projects were put in motion, such as St. Flafbenz Holy Cathedral, the Cephluss Colosseum, and Trinity Candle. He even annexed nearby Enpeecee villages, forcing them to pay tribute. But probably the most memorable exploit of his was the famous Cephluss Incident, where he nearly bankrupted the kingdom and emptied the Treasury into DePrey Institute, funding research for a time machine using ancient dark magic. It was done successfully, and new technology from nearly 1,000 years in the future was brought back. King Cephluss was originally intent on keeping the technology within the kingdom, but upon his death it was shared with the Shire, advancing the world at an alarming rate. King Cephluss was supposedly buried in the Fulfwotz Royal Crypt, but there are conspiracy theories that King Cephluss never left the time machine, and is stuck years into the future.
The Kingdom of Fulfwotz was the first to declare war after the rebellious actions of a small village it was attempting to annex left the kingdom humiliated and disgraced. After declaring war, the Shire quickly divided itself into three factions: the Overtakers, the Liberators, and neutral nations. Fulfwotz led the imperialist Overtakers, and the city was the site of many important events throughout the war.
Declaration of War
During the early 1900's, when the Imperial Shadow was first being cast across the southwestern Shire, the Kingdom of Fulfwotz had begun its aggressive annexation of all nearby towns and villages, prompting nearby settlements that had not yet been annexed to militarize themselves and refuse Fulfwotz rule. Yet many settlements were outmatched by the kingdom's forces, and were forced to submit or have their village razed to the ground. However, one unnamed village under the rule of Count Batman was particularly strong in terms of defensive strength and position, and the kingdom's forces were not able to breach the settlement. Word spread quickly that the blossoming Kingdom of Fulfwotz could not even conquer a mere village, and other growing nations quickly swept in, claiming a considerable amount of towns that were under Fulfwotz control, believing that the kingdom was not as strong as previously thought. Outraged, embarrassed, and a little smaller, the kingdom declared war on the village, allowing it to use as much force as necessary to conquer and destroy the village.
The Declaration of War was signed on the morning of March 25th, 1927, in Castle Mugg. There was a large amount of unrest in the Shire afterwards, and many believed the possible destruction of a town that fought to remain independent was evil and unjust. Many sided with the village, and became the Liberators, seeking to not only allow the village to live in peace, but to completely dissolve the Kingdom of Fulfwotz, and end Shire imperialism. The Liberators represented independence and peace, and is commonly referred to as the "good" side.
After hearing that one of the main goals was the dissolve the kingdom, many nations who participated in and relied on heavy trade with Fulfwotz realized that if the kingdom was to be eradicated, they would lose massive amounts of profit and possibly be plunged into an economic depression. Others sided with Fulfwotz not necessarily because of trade, but because if imperialism was to be globally outlawed, they would be weakened severely. This faction was named the Overtakers, representing imperialist interests and expansion at any cost. They were widely considered the "bad" side.
Occupation of Fulfwotz
After the bloody Battle of Venezia, almost all of Fulfwotz's military was stationed outside of the kingdom, fighting and fending off Liberators. On December 24th, Christmas Eve, 1928, a Liberator force of 5,000 under the command of revered General Tumerik of Knavobuki moved in on the undefended city, easily occupying it by sunrise, Christmas Day. Although many Liberators rejoiced, many others claimed that occupation was exactly what they were fighting against, and Liberator support wavered after many unproven yet widespread accounts of atrocities performed by the Liberator troops within the city fell on the ears of Shirefolk. One Fulfwotzian claimed that a group of five Liberators broke into his home, assaulted his wife, killed his son, and ran off with jewelry and family heirlooms. This was afterwards proven true, along with many other accounts of terrorism.
Fulfwotzian life during the Liberator occupation was altered drastically, with martial law being declared by Provisional King Maltese after severe unrest and riots within the city. The historic Abyssinia Hotel in Pinecone Village was the site of numerous mass murders after it was turned into a Liberator Command Center, and proprietors Georges & Norma Abyssin were convicted of over 90 counts of murder. It was said that they poisoned the water, and blamed it on the claim that the filtration system was no longer functioning since the occupation. The claim was discovered to be false, and the couple was executed.
With the center of Overtaker power occupied, and a severely weakened army, the Overtakers officially surrendered. After threatening to use nuclear weaponry, both sides recognized the implications of Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Niflheim Treaty was drawn up in Niflheim Palace. Some major agreements of the treaty included:
- The Kingdom of Fulfwotz will release its grip on any village that refuses its rule
- The Kingdom of Fulfwotz may continue to exist as long as future annexations are agreed to by both parties
- Both sides must dispose of nuclear weaponry, allowing a maximum of 10 warheads per nation
- The Shire United Nations will be created to monitor and maintain peace throughout the Shire
- All trade embargoes placed on opposing nations by Fulfwotz must be lifted unless the embargo existed before the war
- Restitution must be given to Fulfwotzian families terrorized by Liberator troops, on part of any nation formerly aligned with the Liberators
- All nations along with Fulfwotz will be assigned an officer to monitor government activity and report to the Shire United Nations
- Any research of Weapons of Mass Destruction in any Shire institution must be disclosed to the Shire United Nations
After the treaty was signed on May 24th, 1929, the Kingdom of Fulfwotz was incorporated into the New Sammichian Empire the very same day.
During the White Plague in 1968, DePrey Institute in Fulfwotz was the forefront of discovering a cure for the deadly lymphrosis strain. Fulfwotz itself was quarantined to prevent the spread of the illness, but was soon infected after the quarantine was compromised. Nearly 1/4 of the population was killed due to the large Sammichian population, whose immune systems are very susceptible to the virus. The infection of the city led to serious repercussions in the Shire economy, with the music, film, and television industries based largely in Fulfwotz inactive. Work inside DePrey Institute continued, until a vaccine was developed and distributed amongst the Shire.
The city of Fulfwotz is known for its six distinct boroughs which make up the shape of the city. Each borough is controlled by a council, headed by an appointed Subchancellor by the Sammichian Imperial Chancellery. The various boroughs are remarked for their diverse and varying subcultures despite being in close proximity to each other. Due to the size of Fulfwotz Proper, it is also divided into numerous districts or neighborhoods recognized by the government. Other boroughs are also divided into neighborhoods, but said neighborhoods are unofficial areas named by those living within them.
Districts of Fulfwotz Proper
- Harbor District
- Theater District
- Watchtower Hill
- Seaside Park
- Farside Park
- Wyrmwood Hill
- Grand Flafbenz Plaza
- Commercial District
- Follywood Studios (Owned by Follywood Entertainment Corporation for corporate interests)
Fulfwotz is a very media-centric society, due to the presence of major industries such as music, television, and film. Its citizens enjoy a large amount of personal liberties and freedoms, and their devotion to the Empire. Fulfwotzians are known for their opinions on sexuality, which is not an issue in most imperial settlements due to the fact that Sammichians are inherently bisexual, and are able to choose their gender at a young age. Those who never undergo the procedure to assign them a gender grow up to be intersex, who still retain all of the rights guaranteed to others.
Despite the freedom in Fulfwotz, it is regarded as one of the most unfriendly cities in the Shire, thanks to the high Sammichian population. It is also renowned for its high crime levels, which you would not expect from the city's outward appearance, but many say it's probably one of the most dangerous cities today. Criminals flock to the city because of the very lax laws which legalize nearly everything except murder, theft, and corruption in the government, which still happens in large amounts anyway.
Fulfwotz is home to a number of organizations important to the Empire and the Shire.
- Shire Global News - A major news outlet covering all areas of the Shire. While the main offices are located inside the SGN Tower in Orikami, the Administrative Offices are in Grand Flafbenz Plaza.
- Fulfwotz City Planning Office - A commonly-criticized and bureaucratic committee in charge of everything from the locations of parks to taxes.
- Follywood Entertainment Company - A conglomerate at the forefront of media entertainment in the Shire, producing hundreds of movies, television shows, and music albums every year. Among the subsidaries of the conglomerate are Follywood Films, Vixen Records, and the Globul Theater Company.
- Biltbobble Pharmaceuticals - An organization controlled by the booming and affluent Biltbobble Family, and one of the leading manufacturers of medicinal drugs and equipment.
Despite its relatively clean and attractive outward appearance, the city of Fulfwotz is quite well-known for being a dangerous and crooked city, being rated the No. 1 Most Corrupt City by the respected travel magazine Iteria. It has among the highest rates of crime (primarily bribery, theft, murder, arson, and embezzlement) in the Shire, and travel to the city during Shire-wide social/political/economical upheaval (e.g. the Civil War and White Plague) is strongly discouraged as the city may become increasingly unsafe. Fulfwotz remains one of the most controversial cities around, mainly for the following:
A natural outcome of its laissez-faire libertarian opinions, elitism is alive and well in Fulfwotz, and is hated by those at the bottom of the chain. Despite having a large middle-class population and a relatively wide gap between rich and poor, many claim the needs of the poorer citizens in Fulfton and Farside Park are buried under the more materialistic and frivolous needs of Follywood and Feverly Hills. The extensive amount of wealthy celebrities and moguls in the city look down on the poor, and have a considerably larger amount of opportunities. The rich are known for taking advantage of the poor, inciting the massive Labor Riots of 1938. The welfare system was only recently introduced after the Shire United Nations itself pushed for it to be established, even after the emotionally-confusing Sammichians angrily refused the financial aid several times.
Over the years, countless government officials, the Imperial Family, and members of the Sammichian Imperial Chancellery have been accused of
- Abyssinia Hotel - The Abyssinia Hotel was an important location during the Liberator Occupation in 1928, being retrofitted into a command center for the Liberator army. The owner, Georges R. Abyssin, was pro-Overtaker and poisoned over 90 high-ranking Liberators with his wife, Norma. They managed to convince the Liberator force it was tainted drinking water because the water filtration system was no longer in operation since the occupation.
- Castle Mugg - The royal residence of Emperor Sammich the Magnificent, the castle has become a cultural icon and is easily recognized by many Shirefolk. Towering and imposing, just like the Fulfwotz ego, and opulently furnished, it is one of the oldest structures in Fulfwotz, even being inhabited by Lilladonian lords thousands of years ago.
- Church of Sammintology - Not to be confused with the religion in practice, this is the headquarters of the Church in Feverly Hills. Formally the Château de la Fièvre Hotel, it was purchased by the church in 1988. It serves as headquarters, a celebrity center, and hotel for Sammintologists exclusively.
- DePrey Institute - One of the most respected scientific institutions in the Shire, DePrey Institute is a leader in science, technology, sociology, and so on. Located in a massive castle larger than Castle Mugg itself, it has many departments dedicated to different fields of research. It is heavily guarded as most research that goes on inside are government-funded and classified, but tours are open to the public.
- Follywood Sign - Like Castle Mugg, the Follywood sign has become an international culture icon, used to denote Fulfwotz in all forms of media. It was built by the entertainment company of the same name in 1979, and
- Grand Fulfwotz Terminal
- Hoppe Home
- Seaside Gardens
- St. Flafbenz Holy Cathedral
- Trinity Candle
|New Enderton||Cathedral of Atheos||Bucketheadland|