Difference between revisions of "Alfa Beach"
(Created page with "Alfa Beach is a neighborhood along the Southern Rim of Homestar Bay in Oranjestad. It sits directly north of Irvington and west of Brahmin Beach. In the early 1950s Alfa Beach...")
Revision as of 06:10, 1 June 2015
Alfa Beach is a neighborhood along the Southern Rim of Homestar Bay in Oranjestad. It sits directly north of Irvington and west of Brahmin Beach. In the early 1950s Alfa Beach was born out of the ashes of the old Isfahan neighborhood. Alfa Beach is a major regional tourist draw because of its recreational beaches and close proximity to the Dukeside Nature Reserve. The area is dissected by the Orangetown Highway, which creates an artificial border separating the touristy and wealthy northern side to the older, working class southern side (known locally as “Beta Beach”).
In 1833, the Shire government granted Jay R. Monroe a parcel of land along the southern shore of Homestar Bay. Monroe sought to develop the land and in the 1850s the first permanent settlers arrived. Alfa Beach was incorporated as a village, then called Isfahan, in 1869, and was annexed by Oranjestad in 1902.
In 1915, the Orangetown Highway was built through the neighborhood, beginning an era of foreign shipments that would last until the mid-1930s. Shortly after this boom period, the economy faltered and Isfahan fell into disrepair. Oranjestad sought to revitalize the area and in 1941 began the demolition of the entire Isfahan neighborhood. There are no surviving original structures. In the 1950s and 1960s Isfahan was rebuilt as Alfa Beach and several new businesses came to the area.
In 1969, The first annual “Blueberry Festival" took place, and the city's brand new polished beach was dedicated. To this day the Blueberry Festival continues to draw many visitors to the area. Other events, such as the Ice Breaker Festival, Harborfest, and October 15th Fireworks displays remain popular. The beach and relaxing atmosphere will continue to ensure that Alfa Beach remains a popular warm-weather destination.
The Dalmation Bank & Trust was designed by Alfa Beach architect John Cornelius and constructed in 1949. The building is famous for its distinctive stone and quartz facade.
Alfa Beach offers an interesting array of cultural attractions. The Historical Association of Isfahan, which now operates out of the Hartman Tower, which it is refurbishing, is devoted to documenting and retelling the neighborhood’s rich history.
A staple bar in the heart of Alfa Beach is Ayu’s Pub. The building was originally a beach home.
Behind the Scenes
The area is named after a Com Truise song of the same name.
The area was once called Isfahan, a Duke Ellington song. The area was themed ‘blue’, with several blue wool decorations and lapis item frames. The buildings were mostly Shanevr medieval style homes copied from the mainland. The beachfront was once a build made by Slyypenguin in the Tyrozone. There were two buildings from keikei’s Silex Civis and one from Mattropolis. These have all been deleted and are being replaced with all original buildings created by nebbers.